Halloo from you friend, Snoots.
I wanted to let everyone know I'm taking an extended semi-vacation from VR (not totally, just semi). Posting this because our group is very caring and when someone disappears for any length of time, people start wondering if is okay. So letting you know I'm okay... just shifting priorities. :-)
IT'S BEEN A LONG PROJECT
I have been involved in virtual reality in one form or another since around the year 2000, starting with Worlds.com. I joined Second Life in October 2004. That puts me at 14 years in the VR field and some 9 1/2 years heavily involved in the SL/Inworldz type of VR.
The key term is "heavily involved". It's taken a significant chunk of my real life. I have much to show for my time in virtual reality, but little to mark that decade in real life.
It is my wish to accomplish a bit more while there is still time, especially since I've grown a bit stronger since the successful corrective heart surgery in 2011. As some of you know I recently took up the crafting hobby of hand-made guitar amps and folk guitars. I am enjoying that much and it gives me a bit more of a physical workout than typing on a keyboard. ; )
Some of the changes that will be made are as follows:
* I'll only be answering essential IMs in-world. As you know, IMs can take a lot of time. So if someone sends "Hello Snoots hope all is okay" I may not answer... but be assured I'll read and appreciate you thinking about me. : )
* Management of Elf Clan will be handled more by our other Eldar and Guardians. I encourage members to try and figure out things for themselves, but if you are stumped and need help, feel free to go to the Eldars (for things regarding Elf Clan. How to script / build etc can be found through other sources, allowing our Eldar a bit of rest time). I'll still be involved in Elf Clan, but my role will be greatly reduced.
* I will still be managing my store DragonForge, but will not be spending near as much time developing new products. I will still support DragonForge customers, as I believe post-sale support is the only decent way to conduct business.
* I have already turned ElvenSky over to long-time resident and renter Bellini Cazalet, our friendly dwagon. I will still retain management of ElvenSong and ElvenMyst.
* For the most part I will no longer be participating in virtual events. It's simply a matter of time and priorities. I love dwagon-dancing, but it does take a chunka time.
* You won't see me nearly as much in Inworldz forums, save for announcing new DragonForge projects. Forums can be immensely time-consuming and at times even counter-productive. I'll be using them for information only... and maybe the occasional dwagony prank. ; )
* I will not be participating in any project unrelated to DragonForge. This is a big one. My VR time will be very limited, so I simply won't have time to take on new projects. Elf Clan projects and events I will leave to other members; I think it safe to say I've done my fair share over the past decade. : }
* I am working on a new line of steamships with Ferrator, and will be mostly involved in that project.
* Peter has been and will continue to be in charge of all land acquisition and management, with Moontan and Cinnamon to assist him and region owners where necessary. Due to time limitations I will no longer be involved at all in new sim acquisition or region owner education.
* I will no longer be "developing" Elf Clan. The child has grown and become an adult. Our region owners have proved wonderfully self-moderating and supportive of the group (I've referred to them as "mini-Eldar") and Elf Clan has been standing on its own feet for some time now. I am proud of our group and accomplishments and trust it can exist as it is without constant supervision. We have the Charter as guide and Eldar / Guardians / Greeters as moderators. Elf Clan has come a long way and I am ready to let it travel the path long paved.
* Please do remember just because the system shows me online doesn't mean I actually am. That's a very old VR bug. In addition, being online doesn't mean I'm available, so if I don't answer an IM, please don't take offense. That's the reason of this blog post... to let everyone know I'm cutting back.
THINKING ABOUT IT A WHILE
This is nothing recent. This move has been under consideration for about a year now. The decision encompasses not only Virtual Reality but my "keyboard time" in general. Having already cut Netflix, Hulu and Amazon videos, I some time ago also joined the "cut the cord" movement and cancelled cable television. I rarely play computer games of any form. (Okay okay, I'm still a Solitaire and Yahtzee addict. Can't go cold turkey y'know.)
In short, real life is taking priority, and my projects there taking significantly more of my time. After over a decade in VR, it's time for a change. It's my intent to reduce Snoots' essential roles in the group and let others fill those basic needs.
I'm by no means leaving VR entirely, nor leaving you in the lurch. You are in good hands. I'm just becoming less-visible and less-active. Elf Clan has grown to become a fairly self-reliant and thematically diverse group. I trust the Eldar, Guardians and region owners to fill in the gaps.
Dwagony hugz to all, and cookies all around.
-- Your friend, Snoots Dwagon